Tuesday 4 June 2013

ELEPHANT YAM STIR FRY or CHENA MEZHUKUVARATTY:

ELEPHANT YAM STIR FRY or CHENA MEZHUKUVARATTY: This is a very healthy option, I would say. This can be used as a side dish for your plain rice. It is easy too!

The reason I thought of doing this is that we always have left over fresh yam after making sambar or aviyal. I should say both won’t go together in a week (sambar and aviyal). I have strict instructions...either one please!!!!!!!!  So I had no other go than to make yam stir fry. I hate wasting food.

Yam is a very important vegetable in terms of health especially for ladies. It is known to help with increasing the female hormone estrogen.  It also has vitamin B and is high in fiber content. So ladies gear up...here is the recipe, especially you are having PMS or hormonal issues (I bet you are already taking medicines with yam in that case).




INGREDIENTS:

Elephant Yam – 1 cup diced
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Curry leaves – a sprig

METHOD:

Clean and dice the yam. Heat oil in a pan and transfer the yam to it. Add salt and curry leaves. Cook on low flame. 

When almost done, add pepper and cook for another minute or so. 

Serve!

NB: It cooks fast, so be careful. It just takes few minutes. If your hands are itching after cleaning and cutting yam, do not panic. It will go after sometime. You may even apply some coconut oil on that part after washing your hand.
My grandmother used to say, the itching will disappear as soon as the yam gets cooked. And it has worked out so far for me.
Some Yams may even itch after cooking, so have a taste test. In that case realise that the yam you bought is a bad one.



No comments:

Post a Comment