Wednesday 4 September 2013

MUSHROOM THORAN

MUSHROOM THORAN: I should thank my mom for this awesome recipe. This thoran is an authentic kerala dish.  My early memories of this dish go back to my childhood. I remember during my vacations we used to visit my dad’s home and in the backyard the mushrooms used to sprout. It is so beautiful to see them especially the white ones. My grand mom used to pick them and make dry chutney with them.

The last time I had them was after my delivery. She got few of them for me and my mom prepared this awesome thoran. It was a delight.

Since we do not get those types of mushrooms here, I have done it with button mushrooms available at the super market. It is very tasty as it has the meat masala aroma and taste.
The best thing about button mushrooms is that they contain high amounts of vitamin D, digestive enzymes and proteins.

 “A 2009 case control study of 2,018 women correlated a large decrease of breast cancer incidence in women who consumed mushrooms. Women in the study who consumed fresh mushrooms daily were 64% less likely to develop breast cancer, while those that combined a mushroom diet with regular green tea consumption reduced their risk of breast cancer by nearly 90%.” -  Wikipedia.

That is great information. So, you see mushroom is a great option especially for vegetarians. But do be careful especially if you are plucking them from the wild, there are toxic ones too!!!!!!!





INGREDIENTS:

Button Mushrooms – 6 to 8 big ones
Coconut scraped - 3 to 4 tablespoons
Onion – 1 big
Or
Shallots – 8 to 10
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Fennel seeds – 2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Chilli powder – ½ tablespoon
Coriander powder – ½ tablespoon
Garam Masala powder – ¼ to ½ tablespoon
Curry leaves – a sprig
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tablespoon


METHOD:

Clean and chop the mushrooms and onions separately. Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds. Add fennel seeds.Once they turn brown, add turmeric, chilli, and coriander and garam masala powder and saute till the raw smell goes.  

Add the scraped coconut, curry leaves, salt, mushrooms and onion. Sauté well and cook on low heat with a lid on. Cook till mushrooms are done or till they are nice and tender.


NB: Do not add water as the water from the mushrooms and onion is enough to get it cooked well. 

You may even try it without coriander powder. 

Using coconut oil gives a different taste and great aroma. 

Cook the entire dish on low heat.



No comments:

Post a Comment