Wednesday 2 October 2013

HORSE GRAM Or MUTHIRA Or GAHAT CURRY

HORSE GRAM Or MUTHIRA Or GAHAT CURRY: The word Muthira reminds me of my mother’s words – “Muthira thinal kuthira pole aakum”. All I knew then was if I eat Horse gram I will end up being strong like a horse. I did not really know that it is one of the major food given to horses or rather a cattle feed. But it tastes good. This is one of the beans which are widely used in southern parts of India. But it is lesser known in other parts of the world.

Horse Gram is known to even have medicinal properties. The seed coat has anti oxidant properties. So consume with the seed coat. It is good diet for diabetic people as it reduces the insulin resistance. And as a bean it has high amounts of proteins in it. It is definitely a good choice for adults and kids alike. It goes well with rotis and rice. 

My mother has always cooked it as thoran recipe. But since I like curries more, I tried it in a new way and it ended up being a good one. So let us move on to our super simple recipe. I have cooked it with no oil. You may use oil if required.





INGREDIENTS:
Horse Gram, Soaked – 1 cup
Red Onion – 1 small
Tomato – 1
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Chilli powder – ¼ tablespoon
Curry leaves – a sprig
Salt to taste
Oil – ½ table spoon (optional)
Water

METHOD:
Soak the horse gram for around 4 hours. Take a pressure cooker and add all the other ingredients with enough water to cover all the ingredients and cook. One to two whistles on low heat should be enough. Mix well and serve!


NB: You may add oil along with the other ingredients before cooking. 
Add more water and boil. if you want it to be watery.

No comments:

Post a Comment