Wednesday 12 June 2013

RED CHILLI CHUTNEY or RED CHILLI DIP or MULAGU CHAMMANTHEY

RED CHILLI CHUTNEY or RED CHILLI DIP or MULAGU CHAMMANTHEY: This is one of my hot favourite chutneys of all time. It is very easy to make and very hot. If you like the hotness of chilli, you should try this.

My mother’s father was a great fan of this chutney. Whenever we had idli for breakfast, this chutney was a must. He used to dip the idli into that and feed me too when I was about 7 or 8 years....it was yum!

My father’s father used to have a variation. He used to have round green colour (Habanero I guess) squashed with hand in coconut oil and salt for lunch with rice. If we used to sit down together for lunch, the moment he squashes the chilli into the coconut oil and salt, I would have tears in my eyes.  Miss both of them L.

It is very easy to make. It goes well with boiled tapioca, dosa, idli or other boiled tubers like yam, elephant yam, etc. You can also use this dip to mix it with your sandwich dips to make them spicier.




INGREDIENTS:

Whole dry red chillies – 4 to 5
Red Onion - 1 small
or
Shallots (kochu ulli) – 3 to 4
Oil – 1 to 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste


METHOD:

Take a pan and sauté the red chillies for a minute or so. Do not burn them. Just warm them to enhance their flavours. You can see the chilli turning into darker colour. Slice the onions. Put the chillies along with the onion, salt and oil into the grinder. Serve!

If the chutney is a bit too spicy for you, you may mix it with buttermilk or yogurt. This also tastes good. My sister has it that way.

NB: I have used coconut oil; it gives the authentic taste. Shallots give it a better taste.
       If you do not have whole red chillies, you may even use red chilli powder. It taste better with whole red        chillies.




No comments:

Post a Comment