Monday 1 July 2013

CARROT AND BEANS THORAN

CARROT AND BEANS THORAN: I simply hate the taste of beans thoran. But my husband loves it. So each time I make it he ends up eating it alone. That does not work as well as I will be forced to eat it despite my efforts to convince him that I hate it. That is when the idea of mixing both these veggies came to me. I love carrots. So the combination of French beans and carrot.




INGREDIENTS:

Carrot – 1 big
French beans – around 20
Curry leaf – 1 sprig
Scraped coconut – 5 to 6 tablespoons
Garlic clove – 1
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Chilli powder -½  teaspoon
Cumin seeds or jeerakam – ½ tablespoon
Mustard seeds – ½ tablespoon
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 to 2 tablespoon
Dried red chilli – 1 or 2

METHOD:

Clean the veggies and chop them separately. Roughly grind scraped coconut, turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin seeds, curry leaf and garlic clove.

Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds along with dried red chillies. Add carrots and sauté for about 2 minutes. Add French beans and the ground mixture with salt.  

Cover with a lid and cook over low heat.  Check and sauté once in a while to avoid burning. Serve!

NB: If you are using a chopper, no need to grind the mix. You may add it along with the french beans for chopping. 


No comments:

Post a Comment