Thursday 4 July 2013

VENDEKA KICHADI or LADY’S FINGER or OKRA KICHADI

VENDEKA KICHADI or LADY’S FINGER or OKRA KICHADI: Okra has been my favourite vegetable of my childhood times. I used to nag my mother around to make okra stir fry. This is one of the first vegetables I learnt to clean and cut as early as 5 or 6 years. I used to tell her that I would cut it and she has to make me the stir fry. My mother has made okra kichadi only once or twice. I will post the okra stir fry some other time.

This dish goes perfectly well with rice especially as a part of the traditional sadhya.

Okra is one of the most low calorie vegetables. It contains a lot of fiber, vitamin A, C and K. It is one of the best foods to relieve constipation due to its high fiber content. So it truly makes it a healthy dish which is so easy to make.



INGREDIENTS:

Okra – around 10 numbers
Red Onion – 1
Scraped coconut – 3 to 4 tablespoons
Green chilli – 2 to 3
Mustard seeds – 1 tablespoon
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Curd or buttermilk or labaan – ¼ to ½ cup
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 to 2 tablespoon

METHOD:

Clean and cut the okras in round shape. Slice the onions. Grind the scraped coconut, green chilli and half of the mustard seeds.


Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and splutter the mustard seeds. Add okra, curry leaves and red onions along with salt and sauté till it turns lightly brown. 

Add the ground mixture along with the curd or buttermilk. Turn off the stove and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment